It was in the year 1838 that the first Catholic families settled in North Ridgeville. Over the next many years, new German Catholic families moved into the area.
At first, these families needed to travel elsewhere to attend Mass. They then organized themselves and raised enough funds to buy land and erect a church. The Bishop agreed, established a mission, and on Christmas Day, 1875, the first Mass was celebrated. It was named after the person who donated the most money to the building fund, Mr. Peter Meyer. Father Jacob Heidegger was appointed its first administrator.
The congregation opened its school one year after the church's dedication.
In 1879, St. Peter community was given parochial status with Father Victor Haussner being named its first pastor. After Father Haussner's death in 1881, St. Peter's had a regular turn-over of priests. Its status also went back and forth between parochial and missionary status.
In 1909, a new pastor, Father Joseph Trapp, was appointed when the community was permanently given parochial status. A new school was erected the year after which was run by the Sisters of Notre Dame.
Tragedy struck the community when a fire destroyed the church in 1914. It was almost 10 years later when the new and present church was built under the leadership of a new pastor, Father John Rhein. It was dedicated on May 27, 1923 with the current rectory being built in 1925. Father John Rhein died in 1938 and is buried in St. Peter Cemetery.
A number of Pastors have led St. Peter Parish since, including:
Father Halloran arranged for the new and present school and the new convent (the current Parish Center) to be built along with making many Church renovations.
Father Liam Kitt added to the school and completed the new gymnasium in 1975.
St. Peter has had only 4 pastors in the last 30+ years: